Disability Rights Watch (DRW) is incorporated as a company by guarantee under the laws establishing the Patents and Companies Registration Authority (PACRA) and also incorporated as an organisation for persons with disabilities under the laws establishing the Zambia Agency for Persons with Disabilities.
The vision of Disability Rights Watch is “persons with disabilities in Africa enjoying their rights and fundamental freedoms on an equal basis with the rest of society and the promotion of the respect of their inherent dignity is enhanced”.
“to defend, protect and promote the economic, social, cultural, civil and political rights and fundamental freedoms of persons with disabilities and ensure the respect of their inherent dignity on an equal basis with all other people in Africa”.
People with disabilities across southern Africa attain real equality and full human rights.
Where we are:
Unit 2C, Nexus Centre, Plot No 8472, Malambo Road, Lusaka, Zambia
- To defend and protect persons with disabilities from all forms of discrimination, exploitation, violence and abuse.
- To promote the rights and fundamental freedoms of persons with disabilities outlined in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and other international human rights covenants and conventions.
- To demonstrate working models which demonstrate ideal situations for the fulfillment and enjoyment of human rights by persons with disabilities in all aspects of life.
- To build the advocacy capacity of Disabled People’s Organisations and their umbrella federations and bodies in Africa.
- To establish legal precedents to promote the rights and fundamental freedoms of persons with disabilities and to use these precedents for the purpose of transforming laws across Africa.
- To develop and promote best practice on the domestication of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) across Africa.